Films about (or set in) Barcelona
Whether you want to get an idea of what Barcelona looks like, or you've been here and want to reminisce, here are a few films about or at least filmed in, Barcelona. Make a big bowl of popcorn (or maybe some Bravas and croquettas) and enjoy:
- Rec. Jaume Balagueró & Paco Plaza (2007).
A real-time horror film set throughout the city as a news reporter and her camera man shadow the local fire department for a night. TRAILER.
- Inconscientes (Unconscious), Joaquín Oristrell (2004).
Set in 1914 this is a fun period comedy showcasing lots of modernism. TRAILER.
- Little Ashes, Paul Morrison (2008).
Robert Patterson plays Dalí, although according to most reviews, he does so quite badly. Filmed in Barcelona and Cadaqués. TRAILER.
- Barcelona, directed by Whit Stillman (1994).
While filmed in the post-olypic era, the film is set in the 1980s as an expat and his American cousin try to navigate the Barcelona dating scene. TRAILER.
- Salvador (Puig Antich). Directed by Manuel Huerga (2006).
Based on the true story of a Catalan anarchist in the 1970s exectued under the Franco regime. TRAILER.
- Vicky Christina Barcelona. Directed by Woody Allen (2008).
An obvious choice for any Barcelona film list. TRAILER.
- L'Auberge Espagnole (The Spanish Apartment), directed by Cédric Klapisch (2002).
A look at the life of an erasmus student studying abroad in Barcelona. TRAILER.
- Todo Sobre Mi Madre (All About My Mother), directed by Pedro Almodóvar (1999).
Filmed in Madrid, A Coruña, and Barcelona. TRAILER.
- Perfume: The story of a murderer, Tom Tykwer (2006).
Although set in France, this is filmed throughout Barcelona and Girona. The labyrinth of horta also makes an appearance. TRAILER.
- Pan Negro, dir. Augustí Villaronga (2010).
Dark drama about a boy growing up post-civil war in Catalunya. TRAILER.
- Wheels on Meals, Sammo Hung Kam Bo (1984).
Nothing like a Jackie Chan movie set entirely in Barcelona. FULL FILM. There is a great little montage at 54mins.
- Tapas, Jose Corbacho and Joan Cruz (2005).
Interlocking stories of several neighbors in the suburb of l´hospatelet. TRAILER.
- En la ciudad (In the City), Directed by Cesc Gay (2003).
A middle class group of friends gets together often to talk about life and love. TRAILER.
- The Machinist (la machinista), Brad Anderson (2004).
Almost cheating since the film is set in the US, but it was actually all filmed in Barcelona. TRAILER.
- Uncovered (La Tabla de Flandes), Jim McBride (1994).
Can't find a trailer, but the film stars Kate Bekinsdale as she uncovers clues to an old murder while restoring a painting.
- Mientras Duermes, (Sleep Tight) Jaume Balaquero (2011).
Thriller about the portero of a Barcelona apartment building. TRAILER.
- The Cheetah Girls 2, Kenny Ortega (2006).
Horrible Disney film, but if you've got the stomach for it, click here. I think the entire film is on youtube.
- Garbo: The Spy, dir. Edmond Roch (2009).
A documentary about Joan Pujol Garcia, a spy during World War II. TRAILER.
**You can borrow many of these DVDs from La Casa, ask at reception.
*** If it's reading you're after, don't forget to check out our list of Books about Barcelona.
Let me know if I've missed something! Happy viewing!